How to Sharpening a Machete With a Belt Sander?
This is a simple method to quickly sharpen your machete. For this, you need to have a belt sander. This is an easy method and is best for machetes with long blades.
To sharpen the blades, you have to apply light pressure and keep the machete straight. Don’t try to overheat the machete as it will not only damage the belt but also the carbon steel machete blade.
By using the method one must use certain precautions that keep the machete straight. Don’t apply high pressure or overheat in order to avoid any damage. If you nat the safe sharpening of the blade then it’s good to apply low pressure on the tool. You will get the convex sharpening with the utility edge by maintaining the proper techniques.
Sharpening a machete with a belt sander is a quick and efficient way to sharpen the blade. Here are the steps to follow:
- Safety first: Before you begin, make sure to wear protective gear such as safety goggles and gloves to prevent any injury.
- Prepare the belt sander: Make sure that the belt sander is properly set up with the correct grit of sandpaper. A 120-grit sandpaper is ideal for sharpening a machete.
- Secure the machete: Use clamps or a vice to secure the machete to the workbench or table to prevent it from moving while you are sharpening it.
- Begin sharpening: Turn on the belt sander and slowly run the machete blade along the sandpaper, starting from the base of the blade and moving toward the tip. Keep the blade at a consistent angle, usually around 25 degrees, and apply light pressure. Repeat this step until you have sharpened both sides of the blade.
- Test the edge: To check if the machete is sharp, run your thumb along the edge. If it feels sharp and cuts paper easily, then it’s ready to use.
- Clean the machete: Once you are finished sharpening, clean the machete blade with a soft cloth to remove any metal filings or debris.
Remember to be cautious when using a belt sander, as the blade can become very hot and can be dangerous if not handled properly.
The belt sander is available in the moderate price range. If you are fond of keeping the weapons then buy the tool and remain tension-free. You don’t have to go anywhere, use and sharpen your machete blades.