Every survival enthusiast knows very well that an effective multi-functional tool like the machete is a crucial part of a perfect survival kit. Whether you are gathering firewood, building shelters, chopping wood, prepping game or clearing brush, a best tactical machete can help to improve work efficiency and also serve as a perfect all-purpose cutting tool for almost every situation. But it comes to survival situations; there is nothing more effective than the best tactical machete.
Tribal people around the world use the machetes for the security provision. A durable and reliable weapon like tactical machete against animals is a must have tool for in the wilderness. When you look for the best multi-functional survival machete available on the market, it is essential to consider a few things before paying.
Here is an in-depth guide about the best tactical machete with a proper description of each product.
Best Tactical Machetes List
|Cold Steel Tactical Katana Machete 97TKMS||Check On Amazon|
|Ontario SP8 Machete (Black)||Check On Amazon|
|Whetstone Cutlery ‘The Brute’ Super Machete||Check On Amazon|
|Gerber Gator Machete – Black with Nylon Sheath [31-000758]||Check On Amazon|
|SOGFari Survival Machete and Camping Machete||Check On Amazon|
|United Cutlery UC3024 M48 Ops Combat Bowie with Sheath||Check On Amazon|
|Gerber Gator Golok Machete [31-002850]||Check On Amazon|
|Rambo Tactical Hunting Full Tang Fixed Knife Machete||Check On Amazon|
|Cold Steel Tactical Wakizashi Machete||Check On Amazon|
01. Cold Steel Tactical Katana Machete 97TKMS ReviewThe Tactical Katana machete is the latest addition of the Katana Machete Series with an overall length of 36 ¼ inches. The 24inches long blade is 2.8mm thick which is perfectly crafted from the 1055 carbon steel with black baked on a reliable matte finish. The deeply curved blade offers a sword like cutting performance.
The broad full tang along with solid steel tsuba and a high impact polymer handle makes it one of the best tactical machetes available on the market. The perfect grip of the handle allows you to make wild swings with a great grip. Plus there is a Cor-Ex back sheath for the blade safety, easy carry, and storage. This tool is an ideal solution for self-defense, casual backyard cutting, and many other tasks.
02. Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) Review
The Ontario SP8 Machete is a top pick for wood cutting. The 10 inches long blade with ¼ thickness and full tang is ideal at chopping and splitting. The weight of this best tactical machete is 1.4 lbs with 15 inches overall length. This machete can help to split and craft wood, cut down smaller trees, pry things and chisel. In fact, it is a great woodman’s machete. There are saw teeth at the back of the machete blade. The blade of Ontario S8 machete is made from 1095 carbon steel.
The Kraton handle usefully resists the elements and the finger grooves provides a safe grip for hard chopping. Also there is a piped lanyard hole in the machete handle. You also enjoy a leather cordura sheath for blade protection and easy carrying.
03. Whetstone Cutlery ‘The Brute’ Super Machete Review
Whetstone Cutlery the Brute Super machete is a heavy duty machete with fantastic survival features. Whether you want to use in the backyard or in the jungle, this best tactical machete will never disappoint you. The machete is an overall length of 22.75 with 2mm thick stainless steel black coated blade. The Pakkawood Cord wrapped handle offers an ideal one and two-handed grip. A nylon sheath helps to improve the lifetime of the blade and also keeps you safe.
Whetstone Cutlery the Brute Super machete comes with a heavy-duty sawtooth back with a cord cutter slot. A strong handle allows you to chop woods like butter. Overall the machete is highly recommended for camping and all outdoor activities.
04. Gerber Gator Machete – With Nylon Sheath [31-000758] Review
This best tactical machete features a sharp 15 inches fine edge blade on one side with an 18 inches quality performance saw blade on the other side. High carbon stainless steel has been used to manufacture the plain edged blade. Whether you need it for backyard or in the wilderness, the dual purpose lightweight machete will serve you as a perfect tool. The rubber grip allows an ergonomic control for both sides uses. The nylon sheath is safe and durable.
The grip of Gerber Gator is specially created to offer unwavering confidence and safe grip for all type of applications. Its rubberized texture is perfect for both wet and dry conditions helping you in a stable and comfortable grip. The overall length of Gerber Gator machete is 25.7 inches with 18 inches blade and 1.8 pounds weight.
This machete is specially designed for tactical martial artists. The 0.08” slim blade with balanced weight offer best chopping power. The rubber handle is exceptionally comfortable along with the lanyard holes.
06. United Cutlery UC3024 M48 Ops Combat Bowie with Sheath Review
This Bowie designed machete has a super sharp blade crafted from 420A stainless steel along with the serrated sections made for cutting heavy branches is seriously solid. This machete is best for cutting firewood, campsite set up and also for clearing brush.
The best tactical machete has two sets of the serrated blade. One is present at the front and the other on the back. Both edges are different as one is highly aggressive edge and the other is shallower saw. Whether you want to cut branches for shelter or fire, from cutting thick plastic to ropes in emergency situations, the sharp blade will be there for you.
The reinforced impact-resistant handle offers great grip even in wet conditions. This 16 inches machete is tested in toughest conditions for durability and safety.
07. Gerber Gator Golok Machete [31-002850] ReviewThis machete by the master in the business Gerber is one of the most budget-friendly offers. With 25 inches overall length and multipurpose 15 inches fine edged blade on one and 18 inches, the best performance saw blade on the other side, this best machete also have a black 400 denier nylon sheath. The thick blade is crafted from stainless steel along with the gator grip handle. The highly comfortable rubberized texture handle is made to offer additional security even in wet situations.
The thick blade provides perfect resistance to stick in the green world. The hardened steel is made with the precision grind to easily cut with less exertion, allowing for minimum body strains and high efficiency. Also, there is an adjustable, unique paracord safety lanyard. The 400 diner nylon sheath has D-loops along with a belt loop for easy carrying options
08. Rambo Tactical Hunting Full Tang Fixed Knife Machete ReviewThis big predetermined cutter Bowie machete is one of the best tactical machetes available on the market with 11.5 inches silver stainless steel blade. This massive 16.5 inches machete includes a nylon sheath with a rubberized grip handle. The full tang with a sharp blade is meant for best cutting feature with wild swings.
This is a new heavy tactical machete that is meant for heavy tasks. The large 5 inches rubber composite grip offers a comfortable and easy grip. Though the weight is about heavier as compared to other machetes it is due to the large size of this machete. The 11.5 inches blade is seriously sharp to cut through the green world. The nylon sheath offers safety and ease in traveling.
09. Cold Steel Tactical Wakizashi Machete ReviewThe Tactical machete series of Cold Steel is actually inspired by their immensely famous and record-breaking Warrior Series of Wakizashis, Katanas, and Tantos. The Wakizashi machete has a wide and curved tanto point blade. The 18 inches long and 2.8 mm thick blade is made from the 1055 high carbon stainless steel which is baked with an anti-rust coating.
The broad full tang is injection over-molded with premium impact polypropylene which makes it highly durable and weather resistant. There is a Cur-Ex sheath for safe storage and easy carry in travel. The overall length of the machete is 25 inches with 25.0 oz weight.
A Buying Guide to Best Tactical Machete
There are different types of a machete. The most popular types are the following.
|01. Kukri Machete||02. Bolo Machete||03. Parang Machete|
|04. Golok Machete||05. Barong Machete||06. Panga Machete|
|07. Latin Machete||08. Tapanga Machete||09. Bowie Machete|
Features of Best Machete
There are similar and different features in all types of machetes. Here are some of the essential features you need to consider before buying a machete.
Popular Machete Materials
Carbon steel is known as the oldest material used in manufacturing machetes. It has the ability to retain sharpness over time. Carbon steel is usually strong material than stainless steel. The drawbacks of this material are zero. Here are the two main benefits of carbon steel.
- It is harder than stainless steel and easy to sharp. It can also hold an edge for more time than stainless steel.
- It may catch rust but properly oiling the blade can help protect it from such elements.
WD-40 can be an efficient blade lubricant for carbon steel. You can also use steel wool to eliminate unwanted oxidation.
Stainless steel has on an overlay of the chromium-nickel which makes it manageable in wet conditions. Stainless steel blades are a nice budget option can for machetes, carbon steel is best.
Stainless steel is soft which means you need to re-sharpen it frequently. High carbon stainless steel is the best of the materials with tougher on edge and the rich rust resistant features of stainless.
Things to Consider Before Buying Best Tactical Machete
The common machete blade materials are briefly discussed above. The machete blade is made of carbon steel, stainless steel or carbon stainless steel. But it depends on the type of environment you want to explore. For instance, stainless steel blade works best for wetland as it is less prone to rust۔ Carbon steel is cheaper but more durable than stainless steel
If you don’t about the environment you are going to explore than go for carbon stainless steel machete as it is the perfect material for all type of conditions. But you will have to pay more for it as it is expensive.
When you look for the best tactical machete, you will find different types of handles.
Of course, it is the length of the machete that helps to cut any material in just one swing.
There are various categories of machetes depending on their blade thickness. It can be 2mm thin and 6mm thick.
When you are buying the best tactical machete, look for the machete with the full tang construction because full tang construction is more durable and comfortable than partial tang construction. A full tang means when a blade extends the complete length of a knife and also found inside the handle. Such tang construction ensures maximum strength and durability with more effectiveness. But full tang machetes can be expensive.
Bulky machete can provide the best chopping but they can hard to carry around as compared to the lightweight machetes. It is wise to choose the lightweight machete while keeping in mind the length of the journey.
The blade design is not only important for the machete appearance but also matters a lot in handling the work. For instance, the kukri is a professional fighting weapon due to its curved and sharp edge. Focus on your needs before making the decision.
The sheath is one of the most beloved and essential aspects of any machete. The beauty and quality of the machete don’t matter if you don’t take good care of it. You can’t leave machete open if you are not using it. A machete needs a decent cover to prevent damages and also to protect you from getting hurt with its sharp edge. Sheath makes it easy for you to carry it in traveling.
- Nylon and leather sheath is commonly available with most machetes.
- A leather sheath is made to last long. The nylon sheath can serve well. They are usually available with medium quality machetes.
- The Cor-ex and Cordura sheaths are made from high-quality material for best blade care. Belt loops and straps are available with a sheath for carrying purpose.